We got up early again and after breakfast we set out to walk to central park. Down Fifth Ave with a stop in at the Trump Tower, hard to believe that this is or was owned by one man.
Before we arrived at Central Park we dropped in at the Apple store which was under wraps. So many people and so much beautiful technology in one place.
When we arrived at the entrance near
Fifth Ave and organised a carriage ride through the Park. Our Irish driver (most of the carriages are Irish owned) has been in New York for 11 years. This was fun and gave us a small insight to the park and some of the things happening in the park. It was good weather and a lot cooler than the previous day. After we tipped our driver we set off on a long walk through the park, there is so much to see and there was no hope of us seeing it all. We did get to see
the Zoo and many off the sights at the Downtown end of town.
How big is Central Park?
|Our Irish Carriage Driver|
- 843 acres or 6% of Manhattan’s total acreage, including:
- 150 acres in 7 waterbodies
- 250 acres of lawns
- 136 acres of woodlands
How many playgrounds are there in Central Park and where are they?
There are 21 playgrounds scattered throughout the entire park.
|Horse park himself like this
- Balto – East 67th Street near the East Drive
- Alice in Wonderland – 75th Street just north of Conservatory Water
- Hans Christian Andersen – 74th Street just west of Conservatory Water
- The Obelisk (Cleopatra’s Needle) – 81st Street behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art
There also are 48 other fountains, monuments, and sculptures in Central Park.
How many trees are there in Central Park?
24,000, including 1,700 American Elms.
How many benches are there in Central Park?
Over 9,000, which would stretch 7 miles if placed end to end.
How many bridges and arches are there in Central Park?
How many species of birds are there in Central Park?
More than 275 species of migratory birds have been sighted in the Park, a major stopping point on the Atlantic flyway.
How many fountains are there in Central Park?
|Gazebo in used in Home Alone 2|
There are seven ornamental fountains and approximately 150 drinking fountains. The ornamental fountains are:
- Angel of the Waters at Bethesda Terrace
- Burnett Fountain at Conservatory Garden’s English garden to the south
- Conservatory Garden’s Italian garden in the center
- Untermyer Fountain at Conservatory Garden’s French garden to the north
- Cherry Hill
- Sophie Loeb Fountain
- Pulitzer Fountain at Grand Army Plaza
|Central Park Zoo|
We decide we would have Korean BBQ for dinner, there were plenty in the same street as our hotel to choose from. In the end we settled on Wonjo. The BBQ meat (BBQ at our table) was really good and the accompanying sides were fun to try and we liked everything they dished up. The meal was finished with the sweetest orange I have ever eaten.
|Day 2 Walking 4 miles|
An early night as we are planning to head to times square to watch the Good Morning America morning show.